[CentOS] Wine

Mon Mar 16 02:02:06 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 1:01 PM, Rob Kampen <rkampen at kampensonline.com> wrote:
> madunix wrote:
>> Am running Centos5.2 64Bit, want to run windows application on it
>> [x at linux10 ~]$ uname -a
>> Linux 2.6.18-92.1.13.el5 #1 SMP Wed Sep 24 19:32:05 EDT 2008 x86_64 x86_64
>> x86_64 GNU/Linux
>> [x at linux10 ~]$ cat /etc/redhat-release
>> CentOS release 5.2 (Final)
>>
>> Which Wine version should i install?
>> Should i go for rpm or tarball package?
>> Which packages should be installed beside Wine?
<snip>
> Does the windoze application you want to run actually run on Wine??
> Check first, as there are many windoze apps that use undocumented short cuts
> to achieve their aims but thus cause problems for wine.
> If you are running CentOS it would first of all pay to get current - the
> version you quote is not!
> One of the big reasons for CentOS is that users want stability - thus use
> RPMs, any time you roll your own with tarballs you risk breaking some
> dependancy - and as always, you get to keep the pieces.
> I think CentOS and rpmforge do not have wine, epel does, however I find that
> the packages on this site are not always as robust as I like. YMMV.
> Do read the CentOS wiki and the many excellent howtos before proceeding.

A couple of additional comments. I'm running CentOS 5.2 (32 bit),
fully updated, so your 64 bit system will probably differ:   (a) I
installed Google's Picasa, which installs it's own version of WINE.
Runs perfectly. YMMV, depending on what SW you want to run on WINE.

Regarding EPEL, I suggest you first have the Priorities plug in
installed, which you should have installed already. When I installed
the EPEL Repository, 2 or 3 weeks ago, I gave it a a very low
priority. The number of Packages being protected, by the Priorities
plug in, jumped from approximately 350 to approximately 1650, after I
had EPEL installed. You can contemplate what might happen to your box,
if you install the EPEL Repository, without giving it a very low
priority.....