[CentOS] Firefox seg faults

Rob Kampen rkampen at kampensonline.com
Tue Mar 17 16:30:34 UTC 2009

Rob Kampen wrote:
> Hi, I have two very similar AMD based work stations running fully
> current CentOS x86_64.
> Both have 4Gb of RAM, both have
>
> [rkampen at media ~]$ sudo rpm -qa |grep flash
> flash-plugin-10.0.22.87-release.i386
> [rkampen at media ~]$ sudo rpm -qa |grep fire
> firefox-3.0.6-1.el5.centos.i386
>
> One machine (home) works fine on my web page www.ndgonline.net/ndg/
> the other (work) seg faults - I guess it is due to the godaddy link on
> the bottom of the page, as plain old google loads fine.
>
> I started this debacle by removing firefox, flash and the plugin
> directories on my work machine under /usr/lib/mozilla and
> /usr/lib64/mozilla as my page loads were very slow (only the godaddy
> bit) and also any video content (flash based I think) failed to play,
> yet all this works fine on the home machine.
>
> I guess there is some common lib somewhere that is corrupt, any ideas
> of where to start looking?
>
> I did have nspluginwrapper installed on the work machine, however this
> is no longer installed and is not installed on the home machine. Do
> not see what this provides, as I have more success playing multimedia
> content at home than at work......
>
> Heading away from the work machine, thus ability to check if any
> changes work will be limited until I am in front of the screens
> tomorrow, however I can ssh and check packages etc.
> Thanks for your help.
> Rob

Update:
removed firefox and flash via yumex.
removed the ~/.mozilla folder completely and started afresh.
re-installed firefox - i386 version on a x86_64 system as this seem to
be the safest and it works fine at home.
all appears okay - particularly my web site https://www.ndgonline.net/ndg/
then installed the adobe supplied flash player and it seg faults as it
goes to render the godaddy logo at the bottom of my page.
remove the flash player and all is well - so it appears that the flash
player is the problem.......
anyone else have this issue or any experience or insight they can share??