[CentOS] Streaming video with Centos 5.2...how to?

Guy Boisvert boisvert.guy at videotron.ca
Tue Mar 17 16:43:21 UTC 2009

Thiago Avelino wrote:
> VLS = http://www.videolan.org/doc/streaming-howto/en/
>
> 2009/3/17 Gilbert Sebenste <sebenste at weather.admin.niu.edu>:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I am a noob to streaming video, and I have a file I'd like to stream (a
>> .wmv file...sorry. ;-)  ). In any case, how can I do this on my website
>> using Centos 5.2 and Apache 2.2.8, rather than making people download a
>> 20 MB video? Can someone point me to some URL's and some software?
>>
>> Thanks for any help, I greatly appreciate it!
>>
>> Gilbert

Thiago, i'm asking you kindly to refrain from top posting!  Thanks!

http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=16
http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

For the OP, do you want live streaming or on demand?  For On Demand, we
use Darwin Streaming Server (Open Source) on CentOS.  We
encode/re-encode our files in MP4.  The server is able to stream MP3 too.

For Live streaming, we use (alas..) Winblows WME (Winblows2003).  We
take our live feed in SDI and feed it into an Osprey 560 card.

For me, i'd like to go further and replace the WME server by something
that would run on CentOS.  Presently, we push 4 streams: 1 low res, 1
medium res, 1 High res and 1 audio only.

The problem we have (apart from being Winblows...) is that the damn
Micro$loth stuff is a nightmare to administer.  No remote status, binary
logs, etc!

I checked VLC and it is a very good piece of software but i'm not sure
it would fit the bill in the above scenario.

I'd like to have statistics, remote control, SNMP trap in case of
problem, etc.

As for compression, we need something easy for our clients that are just
standard users with about no computer knowledge.  That means that the
stream should use a format that is supported right out of the box or
easily added.  Unfortunately, majority of clients are using Winblows...
  I heard about Flash Streaming but still didn't find anything that
would run on Linux (as a streaming server).

Does anybody knows something that would do using CentOS ?  Any good idea
will be appreciated !

Thanks!

Guy Boisvert, ing.
IngTegration inc.