[CentOS] Replacing my Scalix mail server

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Tue Mar 17 22:30:04 UTC 2009

Am 17.03.2009 um 21:19 schrieb Per Qvindesland:

> No as I said it does not have all the synchronizing stuff but rock
> solid
> email server, sadly Zimbra in my humble opinion not really free, but
> of
> course there is http://www.opengroupware.org/ http://www.citadel.org/
> http://www.open-xchange.com/EN/developer/index.html and http://kolab.org
> mention a few all with their own pro's and con's

All the "free" solutions depend on you spending an extra-ordinary
amount of time configuring them.

The amount of QA needed to pull something like Zimbra off is
staggering (sometimes it's still not enough QA....)

My own mail is qmail-only - I gave-up trying to get all the
calendaring-packages running long ago.
But at work, we have Zimbra and is is really cool IMO.
It has a slick web-interface, it sync's with Outlook, Mac - and then
there is this great/horrible fat client called Zimbra Desktop...
;-)

I have to admit, though, that the list-price for a small amount of
mailboxes looks not so cheap (esp. if you want Zimbra Mobile).
(How many mailboxes does the original author want to replace, actually?)

But still, I'm kind of fascinated by it - mostly, because it's very
openly developed and by browsing through their bugzilla and P4
repository-webinterface, you get a good idea of what current issues
there are, what would get fixed by going to a newer version (and which
new bugs to expect).
I wish every vendor did that.

We run it on CentOS, BTW (test/dev environment via Virtuozzo,
production on physical hardware).

Rainer