[CentOS] Being Green, Time to make the servers sleep!

James Bensley

jwbensley at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 11:13:27 UTC 2009

Shadies and Mentlemen;

I am trying to be green and put our backup servers to sleep during the
day and have them wake on LAN and fire back up at night for our
nightly backups as "sleep" is a sort of low power usage mode.

(At this point I would be curious to know the different levels of
sleep, what can I achieve? Does my server just drop into a low power
state, or can I stop the hard drives as well?)

I am wondering if it is achievable to script the process of putting a
server to sleep so I can cron tab its behind!

I would assume it would be possible but I don't know how, does anyone
have any idea?