[CentOS] OT: centos.org web site not responding

Sat Mar 21 04:57:24 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 11:12 PM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
<snip>
The telnets into my 2 web sites in CT with the GET did result in me
seeing the HTML code, as the book shows.

> insufficient info on your GET, and you can't use any backspaces, you
> pretty much have to paste a perfect command...
>
> $ telnet www.centos.org www
> Trying 72.232.194.162...
> Connected to www.centos.org (72.232.194.162).
> Escape character is '^]'.
> HEAD / HTTP/1.1
> Host: www.centos.org

<snip>
> note i had to send THREE lines...     I used the HEAD command rather
> than GET so I don't have to stare at a bunch of html.
>
>    HEAD / HTTP/1.1
>    Host: www.centos.org
>
> (and a blank line to terminate the request)

OK John. I got that to work on my site in Trumbull, CT.    :-)  Also,
on the one in Stratford, CT   :-)

But, so far, I cannot get it to work with centos.org

[lanny at dell2400 ~]$ telnet www.centos.org www
Trying 72.232.194.162...
Connected to www.centos.org (72.232.194.162).
Escape character is '^]'.
HEAD / HTTP/1.1
Host: www.centos.org

Question: Do you have another command I can try from here? Thank you
very much and good evening!