[CentOS] How to add ClamAV to Postfix?

Xn Nooby xnooby at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 17:58:19 UTC 2009

On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 1:40 PM, Bill Campbell <centos at celestial.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 21, 2009, Xn Nooby wrote:
>>I sent this email to the Rehdat list, but I thought the Centos users
>>might be more inclined to have the command-line solution I am looking
>>for, so I thought I would post it here too:
>>
>>I would like to add anti-virus to my email server. Currently I have
>>Postfix, Dovecot, PHP, and Squirrelmail installed.  The users only use
>>Squirrelmail to access mail. I am looking for command-line
>>instructions, since I have limited access to the server itself (I am
>>using SSH). ClamAV seems to be most common linux AV package, so I
>>assume I should be using that.
>>
>>I'm not sure if I should be using Amavisd or MailScanner, or neither.
>>I believe I need one of them to act as the glue that connects Postfix
>>to ClamAV. Apparently none of these packages
>>(Amavisd/MailScanner/ClamAV) are part of RHEL5, so I have to get the
>>RPMS from somewhere else.
>
> We use amavisd-new with clamav.
>
>>Is there some standard way of adding AV to Postfix?
>
> This is well documented at http://www.postfix.org/
>
> Bill
> --
> INTERNET:   bill at celestial.com  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
> Voice:          (206) 236-1676  Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
> Fax:            (206) 232-9186
>
> "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the
> subject races to possess arms.  History shows that all conquerors who have
> allowed the subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by
> so doing. Indeed, I would go so far as to say that the supply of arms to
> the underdogs is a sine qua non for the overthrow of any sovereignty." --
> Adolf Hitler (H.R. Trevor-Roper, Hitler's Table Talks 1941-1944)

Hi Bill,

I think the only ClamAV link on the Postfix site ultimately resolves to here:

http://www.postfixvirtual.net

Are these instructions you are referring to?

I can try those instrutions, but I had been scared off by the authors
initial disclaimer:

"Dear Reader, this howto hasn't been updated since 2006 and has some
parts which are missing. You may end up installing a non-working
postfix but I believe it can help you to guide through the
installation steps if you know what you are doing:)"

Or perhaps there was another link from postfix.org?