[CentOS] Being Green, Time to make the servers sleep!

Noob Centos Admin centos.admin at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 18:53:24 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 7:13 PM, James Bensley <jwbensley at gmail.com> wrote:
> Shadies and Mentlemen;
>
> I am trying to be green and put our backup servers to sleep during the
> day and have them wake on LAN and fire back up at night for our
> nightly backups as "sleep" is a sort of low power usage mode.

Make sure you are not using Seagate 7200.11 series hard disks for this
unless you've somehow obtained and updated the firmwire. Frequent
power cycles increases the chances that you will hit their firmware
bug that apparently bricks the drive if the drive internal log is at
some specific entry number before the power cycle. Was part of the
recent Seagate fiasco.