[CentOS] [OT] Network switches

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Mon Mar 23 17:01:20 UTC 2009

Marko Mernik wrote:
> We use Extrem Networks x450 switches, see
>
> http://www.extremenetworks.com/products/summit-x450a.aspx

X450A is my favorite gigE switch as well, with ESRP you
can get layer 3 redundancy with layer 2 loop prevention in
a single protocol and don't need to have other switches
in the network have any special software(assuming typical
core-edge design). Anything from unmanaged netgear, to Cisco
to F5 to 3COM to whatever can get full redundancy and
loop protection without any configuration on the edge.
Adding a new VLAN to be protected by ESRP can be done with
a single command as well.

http://apps.extremenetworks.com/libraries/whitepapers/technology/VRRPvsESRP_WP.asp

Though you can't access the OS directly all of their switches
released in the past several years(anything running XOS) runs
on top of Linux.

http://www.extremenetworks.com/products/extreme-xos.aspx

X450A-48T lists for roughly $8k with a 256Gbps backplane,
hardware IPv6, next-gen OS, hardware sflow(www.sflow.org),
support for all major layer 2 and layer 3 protocols. The
latest revs of code include ClearFLOW support in software
(previously only available on the higher end switches)
which is a real nice feature as well.

Quite a steal, they priced it at the same price as their
previous generation basic layer 3 switches Summit 400-48T.

To Cisco it's roughly equivalent to the 3750 which has
roughly a 40Gbps backplane and lists for about $15k.

nate