[CentOS] Security advice, please

Steve Huff shuff at vecna.org
Mon Mar 23 18:59:51 UTC 2009

On Mar 23, 2009, at 2:37 PM, Anne Wilson wrote:

> OK - I'm thick.  I've looked at that page and seen only what I'm
> already
> familiar with.  Please, in plain English, how do I set ssh to come
> in on port
> 22022 (service called ext-ssh already set up for that) to be
> forwarded to
> 192.168.0.xx port 22?

Anne,

if the router really isn't making it easy for you to forward from port
22022 to port 22, you could also solve this problem by having sshd
listen on port 22022 on the server.  do this by editing /etc/ssh/
sshd_config such that the following two lines *both* appear before any
ListenAddress specification:

Port 22
Port 22022

if you're running a software firewall on the host, make sure you poke
a hole so that traffic can pass from the router to port 22022 on the
server.  then configure the router to forward from external port 22022
to internal port 22022, and you're done.

-steve

--
If this were played upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an
improbable fiction. - Fabian, Twelfth Night, III,v