[CentOS] ISPConfig & local administration

Sam Drinkard

sam at wa4phy.net
Wed Mar 25 21:52:40 UTC 2009

Hi list,

    I recently installed a package for Centos5.2 called ISPConfig.  This
was recommended by a buddy of mine who hosts a number of websites for
various clients.  Although I don't host any websites except my own,
there were some features in the package that I did like the looks of.
Well, today, I needed to add a new user and group, so while the machine
was sitting here, I attempted to use the gui to adduser.  For some
reason, the process hung and never did come up.  I called my buddy about
that and he told me we ran through that same scenario with his machine
some time back, but I had forgotten about it.  The processes were shown
in a ps ax as being ready to run, but again, nothing appeared on the
monitor.  I suspect the ispconfig somehow disables some of, if not all
the built in adminstrative functions of the Centos gui, but hoped
someone could prove / disprove this fact.  It's rather irritating to go
thru a manual user creation for me, as cli is not my strong point under
Centos.   I wound up using webmin to create the user and set the group
for the gempak user, and then manually edited the list of allowed users
in the gempak group.

    One thing of note, and not sure it even matters, but I got some
messages like this... "Resolved address
"xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory" to a read-only
configuration source at position 0.  Then, it wrote out the same thing
for position 1 and position 2, with then a warning that python-dbus not
installed.  I do know there apparently is a difference in python-dbus
and dbus-python.

Thanks for any input..

Sam