[CentOS] CentOS VPN server for iPhone

Florin Andrei

florin at andrei.myip.org
Thu Mar 26 07:53:38 UTC 2009

So far, OpenVPN has been working very well for me. Unfortunately, the
iPhone doesn't have (yet?) an OpenVPN client, so I'm forced to work with
what's available.

The options are: L2TP, PPTP and IPSec. If you were to install a VPN
endpoint on CentOS, which protocol would you prefer? The condition is to
avoid shabby VPN servers that make the system less secure. I've seen
some PPTP servers for Linux in the past but I was not impressed with
their security track record. I'm not necessarily talking about crypto,
I'm talking about the way the application is written.

Another condition is ease of installation. I will compile from source if
I have no other choice, but I'd rather avoid wasting time with that, as
I'm quite busy with non-tech things nowadays. If the application is in a
repo somewhere, that would be perfect.

Thanks!

--
Florin Andrei