[CentOS] live audio feed via telephone link

Ralph Angenendt ra+centos at br-online.de
Thu Mar 26 10:06:23 UTC 2009

Frank Cox wrote:
> > I don't think you will be able to compress a
> > radio signal enough to fit over a dial line without a lot of loss. You would
> > need several lines multiplexed together for a decent sounding broadcast.
>
> Well, that's what I'm looking into.  I remember listening to streaming audio
> over a 14.4 modem way-back-when which wasn't great quality but modems have
> gotten a lot faster than that since, too.  I don't know enough about it (yet)
> to be aware of exactly what can be accomplished.

They haven't gotten that much faster, really. If you want a modem for a
leased line, the (well, probably) only choice is this one:

<http://www.usr.com/courier/>

Mind, the 56K in V92 only are for *one* direction, the upstream is
slower (33.6K) - and I have no idea if it is enough to have another one
of those on the other side of the line to do v92.

For a stable leased line with modems you are normally doing V34 at
33.6Kbps and that is only a bit more than double of what you have with
14.4Kbps.

Reading your first mail I thought "Hey, get a leased line and run SDSL
over that", but your two stations really seem to be too far away from
each other to do that.

Can you get ISDN where you are?

Ralph