[CentOS] 64bit Python 32bit c library ...

Mark Pryor tlviewer at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 27 06:09:12 UTC 2009

--- On Thu, 3/26/09, Ben <abnormaliti at clivepeeters.com.au> wrote:

> From: Ben <abnormaliti at clivepeeters.com.au>
> Subject: [CentOS] 64bit Python 32bit c library ...
> Date: Thursday, March 26, 2009, 10:48 PM
>
> -----Inline Attachment Follows-----
>
> I have a closed-source 32bit
> database application running on a 64bit
> CentOS 5.2 system which is running very well however i am
> looking at
> developing some python applications that require access to
> the data and
> the vendor only provides a 32bit c library.
>
> So while attempting to utilize the library in python with
> ctypes it
> became obvious that the 64bit python cannot use the 32bit c
> library.
>
> So what are my choices?

Yum and so many of the applets (system-config-*) are tied to Python that you can't mess with the base version or arch of Python.

What about a 32 bit chroot using Mock? I've never done it, but that's what Mock is intended to do.

Perl.i386 will run OK in x86_64 and there is a version of perl-Inline-CPP that will allow you to write most of what you want in CPP and wrap it with Perl.

--
Mark