[CentOS] Getting ready for CentOS 5.4

Frank Thommen frank.thommen at embl-heidelberg.de
Fri Mar 27 22:39:19 UTC 2009

nate wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>
>> [...]
>
> I think it's safe to assume that the majority of CentOS users out
> there run CentOS on servers, not on desktops/laptops/etc.

So I'm one from the minority then :-).  CentOS 5 is running on (almost)
all servers and (really) all Linux clients here.  Being used to the
"RedHat" way from a former job and not being happy with the fast release
cycles of Fedora, CentOS was a logical choice.  No more system
instabilities and no more package incompatibilities since we switched
from Fedora (let's keep fingers crossed).  That's what I call
"Enterprise grade" :-)

I don't care if the CentOS release comes days or weeks (or months) after
the RedHat release as long as it comes one day.

And sincerely: I don't understand, why RedHat/CentOS should not be used
on desktops.

Cheers

     frank