[CentOS] Getting ready for CentOS 5.4

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 12:50:41 UTC 2009

Ray Van Dolson wrote:

>> Functional deficiencies here we come:
>>
>> 1) No equivalent to kickstart:
>>     By that I mean, zero support for automated lvm on raid kind of disk
>> partitioning in the debian-installer
>
> This is a huge issue with SLES.  AutoYaST makes me very angry. :-)  I
> can generalize my kickstart files to automate *some* parts of an
> install, but leave things, say partitioning, to install time and it'll
> prompt the installer for how they want to set things up.
>
> No way to do that with AutoYaST.. it's either all or nothing. :(

I like clonezilla because it is fairly agnostic about the OS it is
cloning.  It even handles windows nicely, although the hardware has to
be fairly similar.  And it doesn't care if you packaged everything or
just hand-installed and configured the master image.

> Didn't Ubuntu switch to something like Solaris' SMF?  I actually like
> SMF quite a bit and I imagine RHEL/Fedora will move in this direction
> eventually....

Speaking of Solaris - are any of projects like Nexenta usable yet
(distributions with the OpenSolaris kernel and the same user userland as
Ubuntu or other current distro)?  If I have to learn a new set of admin
commands, maybe I should at least get zfs in return.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com