[CentOS] 5.3 and XFS

Nifty Cluster Mitch

niftycluster at niftyegg.com
Fri May 1 01:17:41 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 07:34:13AM -0700, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 7:21 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> > Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> >> I never thought of that given that they come from the plus repo. So its only
> >
> > iirc, the xfs kmod's are not kernel ver dependant anymore, and havent
> > been for a while.
> >
> > Tru / Akemi ?
>
> The kABI-tracking kmod-xfs for CentOS-5 started in Oct 2008.  The
> CentOS-4 version has been tested and will be offered shortly (as soon
> as you/Tru builds it for release).  :-D
>
> But the code is somewhat getting old.  Maybe it's time to get the
> project xfs going again?  Tru is the leader of this project.

OLD?  What is broken that needs fixing?

XFS is in rather good shape and should not require much activity.
As technology goes it was cutting edge technology when SGI designed it.
It may be that ext4 will catch up but based on the clock the new ext4
may not be as stable as XFS is.  A year from now... who knows.

I do see xfs related patches going to Linus today ... so it is not idle.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Found me a new hat, now what?