[CentOS] Rsync/SSH automation problem?

Kai Schaetzl

maillists at conactive.com
Fri May 1 10:32:28 UTC 2009

Gordon Messmer wrote on Thu, 30 Apr 2009 14:19:04 -0700:

> > I have a win2k3 server that its backing up to a CentOS 5.3 server. On
> > the Win2k3 machine I plan to have rsync back up nightly to the CentOS
> > server through ssh. The command I am using is as follows:
> >
> > rsync -vrPtz -e ssh myuser at myserver:/remote/backup/folder/ /local/backup/folder/
>
> The first thing I'm sure you noticed was that this syntax copies data
> from a remote system to the local one, which is the opposite of what you
> described doing, above.

No. He just tells he wants to backup win2k to CentOS. He doesn't say on which site
he starts the operation. So, going from the command line one assumes he's working
on the CentoS box. That may be incorrect, but that's what fits to the whole
paragraph nicely.

> The second thing you will notice, eventually, is that rsync over ssh
> under Cygwin is unreliable.

You mean *starting* an rsync operation on that side? Using rsync over ssh
essentially uses rsync on *both* ends. So, it's running under Cygwin, anyway,
which makes your statement a bit confusing.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany