[CentOS] Inotify or equivalent

JohnS jses27 at gmail.com
Fri May 1 19:34:45 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-05-01 at 12:08 -0700, Bill Campbell wrote:
> On Fri, May 01, 2009, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> >I installed inotify and incrond to watch a directory and set the
> >job as '/mnt/dir IN_ATTRIB chmod 0660 $@/$#' which worked very well
> >except that as expected, IN_ATTRIB is to broad of a watch class as it
> >caused an enormous amount of contention with the filemonitor and/or
> >db server and the client side app was less than happy. Not to mention
> >top showed it working away like mad...
> >
> >Is there any way to look for permission changes only, or something else
> >that might work?
>
> Are you looking for real-time changes, or would an intrusion
> detection system such as aide or tripwire be sufficient?
>
> Bill
---
I think tripwire would give him the results he needs. A real time app
would be better to monitor the file change process while the client
access the QB database. After the client exits the data base with the QB
client the files are changed and the client can't work with them.

The changes are being done on the Linux side by gamin (filemon).

I do question what would happen if you stopped the "qbmonitord" daemon??

JohnStanley