[CentOS] Inotify or equivalent

Toby Bluhm tkb at alltechmedusa.com
Fri May 1 20:12:25 UTC 2009

Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> I installed inotify and incrond to watch a directory and set the
> job as '/mnt/dir IN_ATTRIB chmod 0660 $@/$#' which worked very well
> except that as expected, IN_ATTRIB is to broad of a watch class as it
> caused an enormous amount of contention with the filemonitor and/or
> db server and the client side app was less than happy. Not to mention
> top showed it working away like mad...
>
> Is there any way to look for permission changes only, or something else
> that might work?

I used the example 2 in the inotifywait manpage as the starting point
for my script. Using the close_write, create & move events worked well
for me. Looked at incrond - seemed overkill/overcomplicated - chose not
to use it.

But if it's fighting with something else in the background trying to do
the same thing - it going to be a circular battle.

--
tkb