[CentOS] Software RAID resync

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Fri May 8 04:35:07 UTC 2009

Rajagopal Swaminathan wrote:
> I have configured 2x 500G sata HDD as Software RAID1 with three partitions
> md0,md1 and md2 with md2 as 400+ gigs
>
> Now it is almost 36 hours the status is
>
> cat /proc/mdstat
> Personalities : [raid1]
> md0 : active raid1 hdb1[1] hda1[0]
>       104320 blocks [2/2] [UU]
>         resync=DELAYED
>
> md1 : active raid1 hdb2[1] hda2[0]
>       4096448 blocks [2/2] [UU]
>         resync=DELAYED
>
> md2 : active raid1 hdb3[1] hda3[0]
>       484182912 blocks [2/2] [UU]
>       [==========>..........]  resync = 51.8% (251168768/484182912) finish=1975.
> 7min speed=1964K/sec
>
> unused devices: <none>
>
> I have reniced the md2-resync to -10
>
> Q1. Does is take this long?
> Q2. How to speed it up

depends on  your disk controllers.    whats `iostat -x 5` say the IO on
hdb3 and hda3 is doing? (ignore the first sample, its average since
boot, wait for the 2nd and later 5 second samples...).  iostat is in the
sysstat RPM, sadly, not installed by default.

is the md2 filesystem mounted ?  it will go faster if there is zero disk
activity on the physical drives.

500gb has to be read and written over the SATA channels, which appear to
be in IDE mode (hda instead of sda)....   figure 60-80MB/sec peak
sustainable, lets round that to 50MB/sec, so thats 500000/50 == 10000
seconds if its running at pure wire speed the whole time.  if there's
-any- disk contention, it will run MUCH slower.  if its only running
2MB/sec (as indicated) somethinig is fubar with the disk IO, maybe its
in PIO mode, ouch!