[CentOS] Bash Script help...

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Fri May 8 06:00:19 UTC 2009

Jason Todd Slack-Moehrle wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I need to write a script that I will manually start (or a cron job in
> future) but I need it to do a number of things in order one after
> another.  How do i do that so everything gets dont as the steps depend
> on each other.
>
> Example:
>
> cd /system_backups/

CD = $(date +%Y-%m-%d)

if ! tar cvf apache-conf.tar /etc/httpd/conf/* && gzip -v9 apache-conf.tar; then
	echo "FATAL ERROR 1"
	exit
elif
if ! tar cvf apache-data.tar /var/www/* && gzip -v9 apache-data.tar; then
	echo "FATAL ERROR 2"
	exit
elif
if ! tar cvf $CD-system_backup.tar apache-*.tar.gz && gzip -v9 $CD-system_backup.tar; then
	echo "FATAL ERR 3"
	exit
elif
scp $CD-system_backup.tar.gz user at 10.0.0.1:/.

if this is run in a cronjob, any output will be mailed to the user who owns the cronjob.  this user's email can be aliased via /etc/aliases to another account if needed.