[CentOS] is it possible to resive a PV in LVM and add more LV's ?

Flaherty, Patrick pflaherty at wsi.com
Mon May 11 17:55:07 UTC 2009

Rudi is right, the easiest/fastest thing to do is to just add the new
partition to the pv and expand your lvs as you see fit. But if someone
ever wants to resize a pv I have done it on some vm hosts. It a touch
scary but straight forward (make backups!). It really can only be done
on drives where the lvm is the last partition, or partitions after the
lvm partition is perishable data (swap).

The steps (from memory lacking arguments)
* fdisk -l /dev/sda (whatever the physical drive is) and write down all
the partition information (make sure you get block alignment if you've
changed that).
* remove the exisiting lvm partiton and whatever partitions are after
it.
* recreate the lvm partition with whatever extra size you want and set
it's type. The os won't recognize the extra space.
* reboot, the os recognises the space
* run pvresize
* run pvscan
* use vgdisplay to find out how many extents available. if you want to
extend a logical volume to the entire pvolume size.
* use resize2fs to extend the filesystem on the volume online.
* use tune2fs to reduce the number of blocks reserved for root to 1%