[CentOS] Remote Desktop on CentOS 5.3

Alfred von Campe

alfred at von-campe.com
Wed May 13 21:32:56 UTC 2009

Does anyone have remote desktop connectivity working in CentOS 5.3?
I'm using the Gnome desktop and have configured the Remote Deskop
Preferences to "Allow other users to view your desktop" and "Allow
other users to control your desktop".  The configuration dialog box
says that "Users can view your desktop using this command: vncviewer
HOSTNAME.domain.com:0".  However, when I try to connect to it from
another host, I always get a "Connection reset by peer" error
message.  I've tried various different clients an operation systems,
and I get the same result.  I disabled the firewall completely for
this test (service iptables stop) so I know it's not a firewall
issue.  Then again, I don't see a vncserver process running either,
so that may be the issue.  This was working on CentOS 5.2.

What do I need to do to access my existing desktop on my CentOS 5.3
system remotely?  I don't need to use VNC, but I do want to access
the existing session and not a separate desktop (i.e., by starting a
vncserver process).

Thanks,
Alfred