[CentOS] Postfix: user unknown

Manuel Monteiro

Manuel.Monteiro at astro.up.pt
Thu May 14 09:50:13 UTC 2009

Dear all,

I have a mail server based on  a CentOS 5.3 machine with postfix.

Most of our users are on LDAP (on localhost) but we also have some local
users and we are using PAM for authentication.

Sometimes emails are not delivered to an user (happens either with users on
LDAP or local users on shadow) with error "unknown user" (sometimes the
error comes from smtpd and sometimes from procmail when writing to an users'
folder):

-----

Apr 23 16:00:37 mail postfix/smtpd[6707]: D62A676856C: reject: RCPT from
unknown[116.23.241.165]: 550 5.1.1 <xxxxx at astro.up.pt>: Recipient address
rejected: User unknown in local recipient table;
from=<DianncartePickens at sunshinemillions.com> to=< xxxxx at astro.up.pt >
proto=SMTP helo=<b826affb8c4a402>

-----

May  4 05:53:08 mail postfix/local[13781]: E33F776882D:
to=<xxxxx at astro.up.pt>, relay=local, delay=0.03, delays=0.01/0/0/0.02,
dsn=5.1.1, status=bounced (user unknown. Command output: procmail: Unknown
user "xxxxx" )

-----

It seems that sometimes the system (postfix? procmail?   ???) can't retrieve
user information.

Any ideas on what might be causing this?

Thanks!

Cheers,

Manuel Monteiro