[CentOS] Preventing hour-long fsck on ext3-filesystem

Bernhard Gschaider bgschaid_lists at ice-sf.at
Thu May 14 16:23:05 UTC 2009

Thank you all for your quick answers (you guys must have started
typing BEFORE I hit the Send-button).

The general consensus seems to be "If you can start anew: use
XFS". This leaves one question: as the XFS is not included in the
standard-kernel which option offers the "smoothest sailing"
(especially during kernel-updates):

 - kernel from centosplus
 - kmod-xfs from centosplus
 - kmod-xfs from extras

Bernhard

    BLB>      I strongly recommend XFS over ext[23] ANY day.  XFS is
    BLB> faster, more robust, and more dependable than ext.  I've used
    BLB> it for years and it is rock solid.  I've had it work through
    BLB> failing disk drives and number system crashes (caused by
    BLB> faulty memory).  It takes a licking and keeps on ticking.
    BLB> :-) No need to `fsck' the drive.  If there are any file
    BLB> system problems, one can run xfs_check with a live system.
    BLB> It isn't recommended as it can give false positives for a
    BLB> live running file system, but it can help if needed.
    BLB> xfs_repair has to be run on an unmounted file system,
    BLB> however, I've almost never needed to use xfs_check or
    BLB> xfs_repair.  XFS has over a decade and pentabytes of use
    BLB> behind it.  I wouldn't use any other file system.

    BLB> --

    BLB>   Brent L. Bates (UNIX Sys. Admin.)  M.S. 912 Phone:(757)
    BLB> 865-1400, x204 NASA Langley Research Center FAX:(757)
    BLB> 865-8177 Hampton, Virginia 23681-0001 Email:
    BLB> B.L.BATES at larc.nasa.gov http://www.vigyan.com/~blbates/

DI Bernhard F.W. Gschaider
EMail: 	Bernhard.Gschaider at ice-sf.at
WWW  : www.ice-sf.at
Jabber : bgschaid at jabber.org
Tel:	+43(3842)98282-42	Fax:	+43(3842)98282-02