[CentOS] CentOS 5.3: duplicate glib2-2.12.3-2.fc6 packages

William R. Lorenz wrl at express.org
Mon May 18 05:00:39 UTC 2009

Hi Clint,

On Mon, 18 May 2009, Clint Dilks wrote:

> William R. Lorenz wrote:

>> I have a freshly installed CentOS 5.3, x86_64 system -- just the Base
>> package selection (via custom packages selection), and nothing else.
>> Immediately after install (no updates), here's what's in the RPM db:
>>
>>    [root at dev ~]# rpm -qa | grep -i glib2
>>    glib2-2.12.3-2.fc6
>>    glib2-2.12.3-2.fc6
>>    [root at dev ~]#
>>
>> I have two questions about this:
>>
>>    (1) Should this package be listed in the RPM database twice?
>>    (2) Should it be listed there with the fc6 extension?
>>
>> Any insights would be appreciated.

> I am not sure why you are seeing the .fc6 extensions I currently see

> [root at tempest ~]# rpm -qa | grep -i glib2
> glib2-2.12.3-4.el5_3.1.x86_64
> glib2-2.12.3-4.el5_3.1.i386

These are the packages installed after an update from the updates repo.
Without updating a fresh install, it seems to have the .fc6 extensions.
I'm haven't checked if this is a trickle-down from the upstream pkgs.

> You are seeing the listing twice because one is the 32 bit version and
> the other is the 64 Bit version. By default on 64 Bit machines rpm does
> not use a query format that shows the arch tag

> If you want to be clear about with version of a package you are looking
> at create /etc/rpm/macros
>
> with an entry like
> %_query_all_fmt         %%{name}-%%{version}-%%{release}.%%{arch}
>
> Of course you can use any valid query format you like.

Indeed, that works like a champ and shows both arch tags, thanks! :-)

> I hope this helps :)  I would also recommend you  cat
> /etc/redhat-release and see that it looks like
>
> CentOS release 5.3 (Final)

Yes, it is CentOS 5.3, the most recent.

--
William R. Lorenz