[CentOS] Auto-installing security updates?

Wed May 20 13:14:05 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 6:20 AM, Equinox86 <equinox86 at gmail.com> wrote:
> yes centos is not for desktop it's guaranteee, if you don't have much time
> and want a distro updated at last release, if you have much time to spend to
> recompile dependences i advice use slackware, is fast and desktop friendly,
> similar to swiss knife.
>
> but if you have a server, probably best choice is centos.

Slackware on the Desktop? We have been using CentOS on our Desktops
for several years. It is more complicated than Ubuntu (which I've
never used, but is probably ready to go out of the box, with
Multimedia running,  but with a short life) or Fedora (which I have
used, with excellent to bad results, depending on the release),
because the Multimedia stuff needs to be added, etc. But the
stability, security and long life make CentOS a winner, if it will run
on the HW the person has. Probably not the best distro for Laptops,
but many people on this list are using CentOS on their laptops.