[CentOS] Auto-installing security updates?

Rob Kampen rkampen at kampensonline.com
Wed May 20 14:50:05 UTC 2009

Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> Equinox86 wrote:
>
>> yes centos is not for desktop it's guaranteee, if you don't have much time
>> and want a distro updated at last release, if you have much time to spend to
>> recompile dependences i advice use slackware, is fast and desktop friendly,
>> similar to swiss knife.
>>

> I still call this bullshit. CentOS is perfect for a Desktop which is
> used for Mail, Web and writing Office documents. Much better than all
> the distributions which you have to completely update every year or so.
>
> Ralph

I have installed CentOS 5.2 on two different laptops (Sony Vaio and a
Dell D610), one for my wife and another for my daughter after both
machines got infected with XP junk - both installed without a hitch,
found the wireless etc.
I then upgraded to 5.3 with an initial "yum update glib*" and then just
"yum update".
I install OpenOffice V3 via their rpm (normally remove CentOS version
manually as V3 reads the latest windoze versions of word and excel
that people insist on sending me)
I also use the CentOSplus kernel for reasons I cannot remember -
something to do with video / DVD / multimedia
Then add things like flash and adobe reader, Xine, VLC media player so
that they can do the usual internet download and watch clips etc.
I think CentOS works just fine for workstations AND laptops - The
initial setup is more laborious than some other distros due to needing
to add rpmforge (and possibly EPEL) and needing to load the required
bits by hand -but once done - enjoy all the things we love about CentOS!
YMMV but I'm a committed user with 9 CentOS machines and growing.
I do upgrades remotely via ssh sometimes, but as I normally see these
machines regularly tend to do it when in front of the machine.
Kind regards
Rob