[CentOS] Auto-installing security updates?

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Wed May 20 15:03:23 UTC 2009

On 05/20/2009 03:55 PM, John Doe wrote:
> While I am very happy with CentOS on my servers and my office workstation, I am using Ubuntu on my home laptop...
> The main point being: with Ubuntu, everything (wireless, graphic card, etc...) just worked straight away.
> All the other distros I tried failed on one or more aspects.

There are very few things on CentOS that really need manual tweaking and
setting up - and once they are done, it just works. And keeps working
for many years.

> And debian package management is quite good too.

Debian package management used to be good in the late 1990's.
Unfortunately for debian, the world has moved on. If you still think
that apt is the best there is on offer today, you really need to start
looking at the options. You'll be well surprised by whats on offer.

> And if you want long term support, you can install the LTS versions...

yes, you can install LTS, and have it break every few months. LTS from
Ubuntu is a sorry joke at their attempt to break into the business
markets. Somethings that, even by their own admission, been mostly a
failure.

- KB