[CentOS] Random server reboot after update to CentOS 5.3

Peter Hopfgartner peter.hopfgartner at r3-gis.com
Thu May 21 16:13:24 UTC 2009

Ian Forde wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-05-21 at 15:13 +0200, Peter Hopfgartner wrote:
>
>> Dear ML
>>
>> We upgraded a Dell Poweredge PE 1950 Server the 8th of May. Since then
>> the server rebooted 3 times without external cause (it is located in a
>> server farm with redundant power supply etc.). Looking at the servers
>> monitoring infrastructure with Dell's own OpenManage tools, I  get
>> strange errors:

(...)
>> The server runs the 64 bit flavor of CentOS hosting some XEN virtual
>> machines and some PostgreSQL and MySQL databases. It run without any
>> issues with CentOS 5.1 and 5.2.
>>
>> I interpreted these issues as some kernel/software related problem, but
>> do not know how to make a more accurate diagnosis of the problem.
>>
>> Can anybody give me some hint? Has anybody had some similar issue?
>>

> Hmm... you *definitely* want to take this one to the Dell Linux list.

Ok, done that:
http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2009-May/039257.html
> Having said that, I did some googling for:
>
> 	omreport run-time critical stop was asserted
>
> and found only one hit for someone that faced it in April 2007.
Ok, now there are two in google search results!
>   And
> Dell told them that it may have been software.  I'd start there.  Some
> additional questions: What version of CentOS?  What kernel version?
> What version of the Dell tools?

Indeed, since the only major thing that changed was an yum update
passing from 52. to 5.3, this is what I would guess, too. But my craft
stops here.
> 	-I

CentOS: 5.3 + PostgreSQL from CentOS Testing and some home build GIS package

uname -a: Linux servernew 2.6.18-128.1.10.el5xen #1 SMP Thu May 7
11:07:18 EDT 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

[root at servernew ~]# omreport about

Product name : Server Administrator Install Core (subscription)
Version      : 5.5.0
Copyright    : Copyright (C) Dell Inc. 1995-2008. All rights reserved.
Company      : Dell Inc.

Regards,

Peter

--