[CentOS] Couldn't recognize the image file format for file /usr/share/gdm/themes/Default/background.png error

Dale - Ehome

lists at ehome.net
Thu May 21 16:49:47 UTC 2009

Hello All,

I am getting the following error on re-booting my CentOS 4.5 server:

"There was an error loading the theme *Default*"

"Couldn't recognize the image file format for file
'/*usr*/*share*/*gdm*/*themes*/*Default*/*background*.*png*'"

It appears that when I click on the OK dialog the server continues to
boot, with no update to the screen. I have in the past verified that
this file exists and does not appear to have any problems.

I can now get remote access to the server and wish to do whatever it
takes to prevent this from happening in the future. This summer I hope
to upgrade the box to the latest CentOS. I do know the box will need to
be restarted once before that time due to some planned changes at the
co-loc.

Any ideas on what to change/fix to prevent this from happening again?

Thank you very much!

Dale