[CentOS] Samba Question

JohnS jses27 at gmail.com
Thu May 21 19:45:15 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-05-21 at 14:48 -0400, Bo Lynch wrote:
> On Thu, May 21, 2009 2:43 pm, JohnS wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 2009-05-21 at 14:16 -0400, Bo Lynch wrote:
> >> Hopefully very easy question to answer. I am trying to migrate data of
> >> of
> >> a samba server that is using winbind joined to a windows domain to
> >> another
> >> box. What samba or winbind files do I need so that this will resolve to
> >> names rather than UID and GID. For example........
> >> drwxr-x--- 1049  10926                  10005 36864 May 15 11:46 Student
> >>
> >> Thanks
> > --
> > Migrate what data exactly? Is winbindd/samba your domain controller or
> > is it on a Active Directory Server?
> >
> > Caveat is you don't need winbindd. If you using winbind with AD then
> > save your *.tdb files. Depends on your situation totally. Kerberos cache
> > come to mind also. You smb.conf also. Just to migrate user data none of
> > the above is needed. This answer you ? ?. As far as I know UID and GID
> > is the only way to inter operate with AD...
> >
> > JohnStanley
> >

> The situation I'm in is that this box is joining to a win2000 PDC using
> samba+winbind for setting permissions on files and dir with domain
> users/groups. When I do a ls -l I just see the uid or gid instead of the
> domainame+_user domainname+group which is causing samba not to know who
> owns the file.
---
To be truthfull it sounds like the Machine SID has been changed or a
domain added and deleted on the AD server. Can you from the AD server in
AD Users and Groups confirm the same thing from a mapped share by
looking at the user listed in it? Of cousre this required the Samba host
to have the drive mounted with the acl option.

JohnStanley