[CentOS] Video on (video-capable digital) still camera not accessible

Fri May 22 14:22:20 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 1:16 PM, MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for any intelligent commentary on this - it may be a
> little off topic, but I'm wondering if anyone knows about this.  This
> isn't short, so bear with me.
>
> Yesterday, I tried to download a video off of one of my digital still
> cameras that also takes videos (Canon Powershot SX10 iS) on my CentOS
> x86_64 5.3 system.  When I plugged the camera into a USB port and
> turned it on, it showed no images available, AND no device showed up
<snip>
Our  digital still camera is a very low end Canon PowerShot A460. Your
camera may employ different technology, so YMMV.  A few minutes ago, I
made 3 test videos, each a few seconds in length.  I am using CentOS
5.3 (32 bit, fully updated) and the GNOME Desktop. After I connected
the camera to a USB port and I turned on the camera, it was detected,
immediately, by the same Ap that imports still photos from the camera.
 I imported the 3 .avi files and was able to play each of them,
perfectly, using the Totem Movie Player. Your camera is producing
video files with a different file extension? Our Samsung DVD Camcorder
produces .vob files and in order to upload them to YouTube, I had to
rename them to .jpg or .jpeg or something. But if you cannot download
the video files from your digital still camera to your PC, you do not
have the opportunity to convert them to another file format or rename
them to a different file extension. GL