[CentOS] Random server reboot after update to CentOS 5.3

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Fri May 22 17:41:43 UTC 2009

on 5-22-2009 10:17 AM Peter Hopfgartner spake the following:
> JohnS wrote:
>> On Fri, 2009-05-22 at 09:44 +0200, Peter Hopfgartner wrote:
>> <snip>
>>

>>> Would it make sense to install the kernel from CentOS 5.2? Any
>>> contraindications?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Peter
>>>
>> ---
>> Now why in the world would you want to do that??? You running 5.3 as per
>> your earlier post and your uname shows you running the Xen Kernel.
>> Always run the newest kernel *unless* there are very good reasons not to
>> and I do not see that for your situation. Use the latest 5.3 NON Xen
>> Kernel to test it with.
>>
> A random kernel reboot on a production machine is a good reason, at
> least from my POV. It run fine for months with 5.2 and has now problems
> running with 5.3. If it is not able to run XEN, then I have to trash the
> whole thing, since the ASp services hosten on the machine are within XEN
> guests. No XEN - no business. And id DID run fine before the update.

If the system was upgraded from 5.2, the 5.2 kernel should still be there. I
would just run with the 5.2 zen kernel long enough to see if the problem goes
away. If it does, then there is something in the new kernel that just doesn't
aggree with your server and its hardware configuration. If the problem
persists, then you have a good case for trying a power supply, but you could
also have another card going south and generating NMI's. Sometimes it just
isn't easy.