[CentOS] Video on (video-capable digital) still camera not accessible

Fri May 22 18:03:17 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 12:33 PM, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:
> on 5-22-2009 7:22 AM Lanny Marcus spake the following:
>> On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 1:16 PM, MHR <mhullrich-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>> I'm looking for any intelligent commentary on this - it may be a
>>> little off topic, but I'm wondering if anyone knows about this. �This
>>> isn't short, so bear with me.
>>>
>>> Yesterday, I tried to download a video off of one of my digital still
>>> cameras that also takes videos (Canon Powershot SX10 iS) on my CentOS
>>> x86_64 5.3 system. �When I plugged the camera into a USB port and
>>> turned it on, it showed no images available, AND no device showed up
>> <snip>
> Renaming a file does not change its makeup. Just because you rename a .vob
> file to .jpg, doesn't make it a jpeg. It just makes it a mis-named vob file.

I know that, but when we changed the extensions from .vob to .jpg we
were able to upload the videos to youtube and they worked fine.
:-)

That doesn't help Mark, since he can't see the video files on his
digital still camera. If the camera settings permit, maybe he can
change the video file type, in the camera, to .avi or something that
will be seen by Linux.  I think he said his camera saves video files
in .mov   Ours saves them in .avi