[CentOS] Fixing to bite the dust?

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Sat May 23 13:42:59 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-05-22 at 20:18 -0400, sam wrote:
> I dunno Nate,
>
>     It started all this extraenous logging stuff after kicking memory
> from a paltry 256m up to 2 Gigs. The system has on occasion crashed with
> little else in the log files that would indicate any kind of other
> hardware problem, so with all the rejected packets or partial entries
> (none which showed up on this particular snippett leads me to believe
> it's dropping sync somehow.  I'll watch the further logs and stuff to
> see if I can find something more definitive.

Along with the memtest86 mentioned in another reply, consider this.

When I upgraded the memory on my CentOS 4.x box, an Acer Ak77-400
(Max/N) unit with the via kt-400 chipset, last year to 2GB, it wouldn't
work. To make a long story short, the DIMMS had no specs. The "auto" was
set in BIOS for voltage. My fix was to change that to manual and bump
the voltage a couple of tenths. More memory draws more amperage, may
need more voltage to drive sufficient amperage.

*MAKE SURE YOU DON'T VOID YOUR WARRANTY*

*If* this tweak fries your memory (one or two tenths should not), you
might be SOL. You might want to check the specs on the memory, check
with your vendor about the issue (including warranty), etc. before
proceding.

> Thanks..
>
> Sam
> <snip sig stuff>