[CentOS] HP L7780 support in hplip 1.6.7???

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sat May 23 21:28:09 UTC 2009

> Alle,
>
> I have an HP L7780 MFP, which is supported under hplip 1.7.2 but not the
> current install of 1.6.7. Does anyone know of a way just to add that
> particular driver to 1.6.7, or will it require removing the standard
> 1.6.7 and doing a custom install of 1.7.2. If the latter, what would you
> consider the dangers/other implications of going "rogue"?

It may be possible to lift a newer RPM (probably a SRC RPM) from Fedora
Core and then re-building the SRC RPM (man rpmbuild).  It is also
possible the rpmforge has the newer version of hplip built.

Note: sometimes all that is different for different models of HP MFPs
is the model number and/or some configuration settings (typically DPI
settings).  You might be able to get away with hacking a new config
file / ppd file and use an existing driver -- all HP PCL printers are
much the same -- newer ones just have more bits...

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933