[CentOS] Fixing to bite the dust?

Dag Wieers dag at centos.org
Sun May 24 11:25:55 UTC 2009

On Fri, 22 May 2009, Lanny Marcus wrote:

> On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 4:35 PM, sam <sam at wa4phy.net> wrote:
>
>> I've been getting LOTS of messages like the below in the daily log, and
>> from all indications, it appears to all be related to the cpu;
>> the machine is just over a year old, and was the old vortex.wa4phy;net
>> server from the downtown co-lo site.  Aside from huge log files, and
>> lots of other fluff, numerous problems of other nature have started
>> cropping up.  Anyone have any suggestions as to what to do besides make
>> a boat anchor out of it?  It's all greek to me, so I'm totally at the
>> mercy of those folks who understand the bits and bites (lit) that have
>> run amok in things.  Any suggestions as a possible fault other than the
>> cpu just becoming more toasty brown? :)
>
> To me, it looks like the messages all have to do with communications.
> What are the other problems that you say "have started cropping up"?
> Are those things in the logs or the box rebooting by itself or some
> other issue?

Setting up diskdump (or preferably) netconsole from netdump may help you
find the root-cause. We retrofitted all 400 systems with netconsole
at one customer after we were stuck finding why one server died on us. If
it is not reproducable you lost your (maybe only) opportunity to have it
fixed.

So in the end the effort of setting up netconsole for a company's
datacenter is something you better do from the start, because the moment
you really need it, it's already too late :)