[CentOS] [CentOS-announce] CentOS 5 i386 - The CentOS-5.3 i386 Live CD is released

Radu-Cristian FOTESCU beranger5ca at yahoo.ca
Wed May 27 09:50:58 UTC 2009

> the problem in this case, is that the package should not
> have been updated. It would / should be the same as whats
> in the 5.3 tree. We prolly need to add that to the QA process.

I know that this is CentOS' policy -- to ship obsolete packages on the install media, just to match 100% the upstream install media, so to match their possible bugs, but not newer installation bugs that won't match upstream bugs -- *but* this LiveCD is *not* matching anything upstream, and therefore it should have had updated packages! (Of course, that's my opinion, not yours.)

The only way to install from a LiveCD is netinstall, so it doesn't matter what is on the CD -- except for the kernel and base system, but not the X applications.

Otherwise, used as a rescue CD or just as a normal LiveCD, I don't see what would be the harm of using the official updates.

It looks like CentOS has not defined yet a solid policy wrt the LiveCD.

You could have taken some ideas from the ScientificLinux LiveCDs/LiveDVD/miniLiveCD. Unless you consider them a "rival", or unless you hate Urs Beyerle. For instance, they've added to the LiveCDs even packages not in their regular ScientificLinux distro, just to make them more useful as rescue tools.

I don't say you should have copied them, but at least to take a look at what other clones are doing.

> your email client is broken.

It is not an e-mail client. It's Yahoo Mail Classic, the web interface. So it's more of a platform. Broken or not, *your* e-mail client should accept this kind of breakage. An e-mail client that only supports properly-formatted mail is like a car that can only runs on perfect roads.

Regards,
R-C