[CentOS] Upgrade GTK2 from 2.10 to 2.12 ?

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Wed May 27 20:38:14 UTC 2009

Niki Kovacs wrote:
> nate a écrit :
>> Try it out and see what happens.. since the version change seems
>> pretty minor I wouldn't expect too much breakage .. Though to be
>> on the safe side it's probably good to install it to another
>> directory(/usr/local or something) and change the package name so
>> it doesn't conflict.
>>
>> When building your new programs just be sure that you point them
>> to the other version of GTK via LD_LIBRARY_PATH CPPFLAGS etc..
>>

> I did quite a lot of researching and fiddling, and in the end, after
> weighing the pros and the cons... I guess I'll wait for CentOS 6 to
> build these new apps.

If I recall - gtk is one of the nicer apps in that it properly uses
pkgconfig allowing multiple versions to be installed side by side.

What you could probably do is take a more recent src.rpm from a more
recent Fedora and change the package name to compat-gtk2 and it probably
will nicely install side (including devel packages) with stock gtk2+

Note that if what you want are newer GNOME apps - GNOME libraries
version often so you may find yourself needing to build several newer
libraries to get a modern GNOME application to build.

I've not tried building a newer gtk2+ on CentOS but until I switched to
CentOS, I frequently built older versions of gtk2+ to install side by
side with stock Fedora because Fedora was so bleeding edge that some
small developer base special projects I used were always 1 or 2 versions
behind.