[CentOS] 'Missing end of line'

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu May 28 10:30:59 UTC 2009

On Thursday 28 May 2009 10:20, John Doe wrote:
> From: Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>
>
> > For a while I've been getting this in my daily reports:
> > /etc/cron.daily/logrotate:
> > error: /etc/logrotate.conf:26 missing end of line
> > It appears to originate from my CentOS server (though since client root
> > mail goes there I can't be certain.  The headers don't suggest client
> > origin, to me).  I've checked the logrotate.conf script and it looks OK
> > to the untrained eye.  It ends with an empty line.  Any clue as to what I
> > should be checking?
>
> If you modified it, check maybe if you don't miss a '}' somewhere.
> If you did not, maybe try 'rpm -V logrotate' to see it if is the original.

Duh!  I'd been cat'ing /etc/cron.daily/logrotate, I think, and it looked
original, so I assumed that the changes I made some time back had been
reversed.    'vi /etc/logrotate.conf' showed me that the changes were still
there, and contrary to my memory of making them, there was no end-of-line.
That's fixed, so hopefully the messages will go away.

Thanks for the much-needed kick up the.....  :-)

Anne