[CentOS] OT: Testing and monitoring hardware RAID

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Thu May 28 11:56:09 UTC 2009

Hi,

On 05/27/2009 06:17 PM, Dianne Yumul wrote:
> I was hoping to get recommendations on the proper way to test a RAID
> 1 hardware configuration.  The controller is an Adaptec 2200S.  I
> found an article, but not for this controller, that suggests to power
> off the system, pull one of the drives, boot the OS and power off
> again. Would this be the way to go?

That sounds quite silly - also going through reboots means downtime,
isnt that the sort of thing that raid1 was designed to protect against
anyway.

> Also any suggestions on what to use to monitor it as well? Can't get
> smartmontools to work.

Have you looked into adaptec supplied management s/w ? In pretty much
ever case with such hba's the most functional way to look at state and
do any management on raid tends to be from vendor supplied s/w