[CentOS] Fixing to bite the dust?

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu May 28 16:40:13 UTC 2009

on 5-28-2009 4:49 AM sam spake the following:
> Scott,
>
> All the memory is first rate stuff, DDR2 and new.  Not sure if it
> *could* be a memory problem, as I've not dropped back to the 256 config
> to see if they go away but the whole machine crashed last night, and am
> now just going to do a memtest86, then reinstall.  I never did quite
> like the way I partitioned things in the get-go, plus I'll add a raid
> device to boot.
>
> Thanks...
>
> Sam
Is the memory on the list for the motherboard? Some newer cutting edge boards
kind of "pushed" their specs a bit to tweak some extra speed and they have a
list of "known good" ram parts that they recommend. This is usually most
common with desktop boards that have been pressed into service as a server,
which is less than ideal, since they really weren't designed for constant use.

Also, hopefully the system is balanced with the ram in proper slots, since
most ddr2 boards like matching pairs.

I'd let the memtest run as long as you can, and maybe cover a few slots on the
system if you can to get the heat up a bit, or at least leave all the covers
on if it is on a bench.