[CentOS] OT: Testing and monitoring hardware RAID

Thu May 28 20:00:51 UTC 2009

Dianne Yumul wrote:
> Would you have any suggestions on how I would test the RAID 1
> configuration? (Sorry if you already saw the question on the previous
> posts)

Dianne,

If you feel you must test the functionality of the ability of the RAID1
to recover from a failed drive, the power down, remove drive, boot,
power down, replace drive, boot process will test the ability of the
system to re-sync the drives.  A more rigorous test would be to zero out
the partition table of the removed drive, or to use a new blank drive to
test the recovery; however, what I think Karanbir meant by "silly" is
that all these tests simply confirm that the RAID is working as
designed.  If it doesn't, then you should have bought different hardware
to start with.

Phil