[CentOS] Help setting up USB drive

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Fri May 29 13:36:10 UTC 2009

> I have my 640GB USB drive connected to a CentOS 5 server and using
> fdisk, it seems to show a partition of the correct size, /dev/sdd1, but
> after mounting, the drive shows only 244M size. Does the message
> received when running fdisk below mean I should reformat this drive, I

No, fdisk is giving you a message that only really relates to BIOSs and
O/Ss that are now long obsolete.  Unless your machine is 1980's or early
1990's vintage, you can safely ignore that message.

> can't seemed to figure out how to do that with fdisk. Can someone tell
> me how to reformat, if needed? The drive is empty, I formatted a while
> back on a Debian machine....

How long back (?).

Either the version of mkfs.ext3 was an old and limited version (not able
to handle such a large drive) OR you did something strange with dd.

You could try reformatting it with the current version of mkfs.ext3 on
your CentOS 5 system:

# umount /home/usb
# mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdd1

This *should* format the whole partition.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933