[CentOS] Interrupting Yum Update

Ron Blizzard

rb4centos at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 06:48:38 UTC 2009

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 4:26 AM, Lee Perez <leecajun at windstream.net> wrote:

> Thanks.  I just went and checked it expecting it to still be downloading
> and lo and behold, it finished.  The mirror must have just been really
> getting hammered.  Thanks for the info I will keep this bit handy just
> in case!!

Yep, I'm guessing the servers were really busy. Day before yesterday
afternoon (Friday) I upgraded my laptop to 5.4, finished in about 30
minutes (this was the first time I had it turned on since the upgrade
and I'm kind of glad I waited). Last night (early Saturday) I did a
'yum update' on my desktop computer that I had already upgraded to 5.4
(noticed that the laptop had a newer version of Firefox). I was
getting about 500 bytes per second. I let it run for a while, pushed
Cntrl-C and started the process again and let it run for an hour or
two, and repeated this a couple times. Finally it caught hold and I
got near-normal download speeds, and was done in about 40 minutes.

The second update on the Desktop was about as big as the first.
Everything went smoothly, just really slow servers for a while.

--
RonB -- Using CentOS 5.4