[CentOS] No entry in /var/log/boot.log

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Sun Nov 1 18:47:05 UTC 2009

Rod Rook wrote:
> Having used Fedora 8 and 10 for a long time and Fedora 11 for a few
> months and never experienced this in these distros, I can say this bug
> occurs only in old versions of Red Had distros like CentOS.  Now that I
> know this is a bug, I will move on hoping that others will solve the
> problem

The problem with zero-length boot.log has existed in RHEL releases since
2007, and Red Hat has shown little interest in fixing it.  You won't
find an official fix from CentOS because CentOS strives to be bug-for-
bug compatible with the corresponding RHEL release.  Fedora, beginning
with release 10, has made major changes to the boot sequence, and does
write to boot.log.  My guess is that you might see these changes show up
in RHEL/CentOS 6.  (RHEL 5 is based on Fedora Core 6.)

The data recorded in boot.log is typically not very interesting, so it's
not likely you'll see a fix in RHEL 5.  If you search on Google you can
find some additions you can make in /etc/init.d/functions to record what
init scripts were started.  The only thing missing (from what I see in
a Fedora 11 boot.log) would be the "OK" or "FAIL" status reports, but
those can generally be inferred from what services started successfully.

                 Do NOT delete it.