[CentOS] info about hdds in raid

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Mon Nov 2 23:05:47 UTC 2009

Eugeneapolinary Ju wrote:
> How can I tell wich HDD to swap, when the "cat /proc/mdstat" says one
> HDD of the RAID1 array has died?
>
> Does the HDD's has some serial numbers, that I can see in "reality",
> and I can get that number from e.g.: a commands output?
>
> How could I know wich HDD to swap in e.g.: a RAID1 array?

for devices that show up as /dev/hdX, try

    # hdparm -i /dev/hda

for devices that show up as /dev/sdX,

    # cat /proc/scsi/scsi

this last won't show serial numbers, however it will list drive models
and SCSI channel/id/lun, which should narrow it down.   the first SCSI
device listed thats 'Direct-Access' (as opposed to Processor, or
something else) is /dev/sda, the 2nd is /dev/sdb