[CentOS] recommend benchmarking SW

Alan McKay

alan.mckay at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 13:22:57 UTC 2009

Hey folks,

We've got some new hardware and are trying to figure out what best to
do with it.   Either run CentOS right on the bare metal, or
virtualize, or several combination options.   Mainly looking at :

- CentOS on bare metal
- CentOS on ESXi 4.0 with local disk
- CentOS on ESXi with 1 VM running Openfiler to serve disk to other VMs

And want to benchmark these 3 scenarios

So far all we have is a dd-based disk IO benchmark.

What else can you all recommend.

BTW, we also ideally want to try each of the above with a Postgres DB
as well (and once without)

thanks,
-Alan